Fire Department



 

 

MISSION STATEMENT

It is our mission to provide the highest standard of service to all who may seek our help. We are a service provider and we stand ready to provide fire suppression, fire prevention and education, rescue services emergency care.

VISION STATEMENT

The North Strabane Township Fire Department is a progressive organization unified in creating a safe and secure community.

The North Strabane Township Fire Department was organized in 1967and under the command of Fire Chief Mark Grimm the department operates as a combination department that is comprised of 16 career fire fighters and 30 volunteer members. Currently The Department received an ISO Class 3 rating during its last evaluation from The Insurance Services Office. The department operates out of three stations. Station 1 is located on Washington Road, Station 2 is located on Thomas Eighty-Four Road, and Station 3 is located on Johnson Road.  Our department stands ready to provide service to the residents with 24/7 fire and EMS services.  Training is conducted on Monday evenings throughout the year as well as a scheduled weekend training sessions. The department is comprised of the following;

1-Fire Chief

1-Deputy Chief

5-Captains

1-Administrative Secretary

32- Firefighters

The Fire Department strongly supports and is active in fire prevention and has received various awards through the State of Pennsylvania for fire prevention. Residents can call for a Station tour, block party visit, birthday party or any type of other service.

The firefighters of the North Strabane Township Fire Department currently hold a gold status through the Pennsylvania Fire Commissioner’s office for training.

To schedule a fire prevention program or fire inspection or general inquiries please call 724-745-1010

We are always looking to make our family grow; do you have what it takes? “VOLUNTEERS WANTED”

Please visit www.nstfd.ord for further department information

 

CARBON MONOXIDE

The presence of carbon monoxide (CO) in our homes is dangerous. So, how can we protect your family from carbon monoxide?  How do you choose the right CO detector for your home?  The first step is to make sure that carbon monoxide never enters your home.  The second step is to install at least one CO detector in your home.

This About Your House answers often-asked questions about carbon monoxide to help you make the right decision to make your home safe.

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless and odorless gas,  because you can't see, taste or smell it, it can affect you or your family before you even know it's there.  Even at low levels of exposure, carbon monoxide can cause serious health problems.  CO is harmful because it will rapidly accumulate in the blood, depleting the ability of blood to carry oxygen.

Where Does Carbon Monoxide Come From?

Carbon monoxide is a common byproduct of the combustion (burning) of fossil fuels.  Most fuel-burning equipment (natural gas, propane and oil), if properly installed and maintained, produces little CO.  The byproducts of combustion are usually safely vented to the outside.  however, if anything disrupts the venting process (such as a bird's nest in the chimney) or results In a shortage of oxygen to the burner,CO production can quickly rise to dangerous levels.

The burning of wood, kerosene, coal and charcoal produces CO.  gasoline engines produce CO.  CO production is at a maximum during the startup of a cold engine.  Starting, then idling, your car or gas mower in the garage can be dangerous.  The fumes that contain CO can enter a home through connecting walls or doorway and can quickly rise to dangerous levels.

How Can I Eliminate Sources of Carbon Monoxide From My Home?

The most important step you can take to eliminate the possibility of CO poisoning is to ensure that CO never has an opportunity to enter your home.  This is your line of defense.  Review this list to minimize the risk of CO in your home.

  • Have a qualified technician inspect and clean fuel-burning appliances yearly, before the cold weather sets in, to ensure they are in good working condition.
  • have a qualified technician inspect chimneys and vents yearly for cracks, blockage(e.g., bird's nests, twigs, ole motor), corrosion or holes.
  • Check fireplaces for closed or blocked flues.
  • Check with a qualified technician before enclosing heating and hot water equipment in a smaller room, to ensure there is adequate air for proper combustion.
  • If you have a powerful kitchen exhaust fan or down draft cooktop, have a qualified technician check that its operation does not pull fumes back down the chimney.
  • Never use propane or natural gas stove tops or ovens to heat your home.
  • Never start a vehicle in a closed garage; open the garage doors first.  Pull the car out immediately onto the driveway, then close the garage door to prevent exhaust fumes from being drawn into the house.
  • Do not use a remote automobile starter when the car is in the garage, even if the garage doors are open.
  • Never operate propane, natural gas or charcoal barbecue grills indoors or in an attached garage.
  • Avoid the use of a kerosene space heater indoors or in a garage.  If its use is unavoidable, provide combustion air by opening a window while operating.  Refuel outside after the unit has cooled.
  • Never run a lawnmower, snow blower or any gasoline-powered tool such as a weed wacker or pressure washer inside a garage or house.
  • The use of fossil fuels for refrigeration, cooking, heat, and light inside tents, trailers,and motor homes can be very dangerous.  Be sure that all equipment is properly vented to the outside and use electric or battery-powered equipment where possible.
  • Regularly clean the clothes dryer ductwork and outside vent cover for blockages such as lint, snow, or overgrown outdoor plants.
  • Reduce or eliminate the use of fondue heaters indoors.
  • If you live close to a road with heavy traffic, outdoor carbon monoxide levels can affect your indoor air quality, especially during rush hour.  Such levels should not set off a CO alarm, but slightly elevated CO levels might be observable on some types of CO detectors with a digital display.
  • If you think you may have a problem, don't delay.  CALL 911 to have the Fire Department respond to investigate the problem.

SMOKE DETECTOR PLACEMENT

Question:  Where should I place smoke detectors in my home?

Answer:    Where you place smoke detectors depends on the size and layout of your home, and where people sleep in your home.  Since the primary job of a smoke detector is to awaken sleeping persons and warn them of urgent danger, put a detector in each sleeping room and place additional detector(s) in the hallway or area by the bedrooms within five feet of the door to these rooms.  In a house where the bedrooms are upstairs, one additional detector should be near the top of the stairs to the bedroom area.

Don't put detectors within six inches of where walls and ceilings meet, or near heating and cooling ducts.  Detectors located in these areas may not receive the flow of smoke required to activate the alarm.

In homes with more that one sleeping area on the same level or on different levels, a smoke detector should be installed to protect each sleeping area.

In homes with more than one sleeping area on the same level or on different levels (top), smoke detectors should be installed to protect each separate sleeping area and in each sleeping room.

Smoke detectors don't need much attention.  Regular testing and prompt replacement of batteries is all that is needed.  Batteries will last approximately one year.  If you battery-powered detector begins to emit its low-power warning sound (usually short beeps), remove the weak battery and replace it immediately with a fresh one.  Have a new battery on hand always.  However, if you neglect these requirements, your detector won't do its job if a fire starts.

Feel free to contact the Fire Prevention Bureau at 650-286-3350 for assistance with proper placement of smoke detectors.

 
Please Click Here For Fire Departments Website

 

If you are interested please call 724-745-1010.