Building permits are required to construct, enlarge or demolish a building, change the use/occupancy of a building or structure, or to install or alter any plumbing, electrical or mechanical systems or equipment. The following require permits:
- Accessory Structures
- Addition/Alterations of Electrical/Plumbing Systems
- Mobile Homes
- Repair of Sewage Lateral
- Repairs and Remodeling Structural Alterations
- Sidewalks/Driveways in Public Right-of-Way
- Swimming Pools
- Wood/Coal Stoves Enclosed Patio New Construction
Building Permit Application
A building permit application must be completed that includes:
- A plot plan (survey) showing the location of the proposed work to ensure zoning compliance
- A set of construction drawings with a Pennsylvania architectural or engineering seal (when required) showing the floor plans, structural components, floor and roof spans and materials list
- Deed, worker's compensation, and a sewage or on-lot septic permit (when required)
Once a completed application is submitted, review and permit issuance for residential construction take seven to ten days. Commercial construction reviews will take more time due to the content of materials and a required disability and accessibility review. All required inspections will be listed on the building permit placard when issued. Inspections must be scheduled 24 hours in advance on a first come, first served basis. No work shall commence until a permit has been issued.
Questions can be directed to the Building/Code Enforcement Department at 724-745-8880. Applications can be obtained at the office or printed from Permit / Applications.